It's Not Here?

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Day of Tragedy and Triumph

Last Monday, I woke up around 11 in the morning with a terrible headache, a stuffy nose, and a fever. The TV was on and there was breaking news about a bus full of Chinese tourists being held hostage by a disgruntled policeman. Although this wasn't a common occurrence in Manila, I dismissed the event for something that would be resolved in a couple of hours. You know, just like the usual 'runaway-criminal-taking-some-random-person-as-hostage-thing'. So I slept on and put my sick body to rest. 

Around 7pm, the news was on again...and the hostage-taking, it seems, was not over yet. It started to bother me that it had gone on for so long. And in a span of two more hours... some hostages were shot, some eventually died...and the hostage-taker himself, became a casualty. 

It was indeed a tragic event. But it didn't have to end the way it did. It was fatally mishandled by the police force in charge of the situation at that time, which unfortunately did not sit well with the worldwide spectators. 

I really would rather not discuss the sad details here, but I do hope that the nation learns from this...for the sake of our children. 

SOURCE: http://www.cbc.ca/       
 



Now on a lighter note, the morning after this tragic night, Venus Raj represented the Philippines in the Ms. Universe Pageant. This year, the pageant was held om Las Vegas USA. I already had a feeling Venus would do well. Her exotic looks, her unbelievable waistline, and her undeniable ability to project beautifully onscreen were her major assets. 

From her being called as a finalist to being part of the Top 5, I held my breath (ok, not the entire time), hoping that she would land a spot at the Top 3. But well, I stopped hoping when I heard her answer for the Q and A portion of the pageant. It wasn't super bad, but it was definitely not good enough for the win. Nothing 'major major', to quote the dusky Filipina. 
SOURCE:www.pep.ph

Still, Venus must be given credit for getting as far as the Top 5. This has been the furthest that Ms. Philippines has come in the pageant for the past 10 years! The last 'win' was Miriam Quiambao's placing as 1st runner up back in 1999. And she did magnificently well. :) Good job girl!

Hmmmm... I wonder if my sweet little girl would one day join pageants... it was my dream when I was a little girl, to walk the runway, or glide on a stage wearing a beautiful gown... 

But really, it doesn't matter. I just want her to be happy. I just want her to be able to do what God has destined for her to do. :D If she turns out to be a beauty titlist too, well, that would be something.Hehe.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I am young WAHM of one very pretty little girl born May 12 2009. :D I am a passionate person, and living life, is one of my greatest passions. :)